Physical Therapy Liability Claim Report: 4th Edition
Key findings from the 5-year study include:
- $46 million: Amount paid in malpractice claims against PTs insured through the HPSO Program over the 5-year study period
- $134,761: Average total cost of a malpractice lawsuit against a PT, including legal defense costs
- Improper management over patient’s treatment: Most common malpractice allegation against PTs
- Fractures: Injury most commonly associated with malpractice claims against PTs
- $6,420: Average legal cost to defend a PT from a state licensing board complaint
Risk Control Spotlights:
- Protecting Your License
- Documentation – Coming Soon
- Home Care – Coming Soon!
- Telehealth – Coming Soon!
- Falls – Coming Soon!
- Liability for Business Owners and Supervisors – Coming Soon!
- Burns (Video, Legal Case Study) – Coming Soon!
2016 Physical Therapy Professional Liability Exposures
HPSO and CNA’s third physical therapists’ liability report provides access to data for malpractice and license defense claims that occurred between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2014.
The 74-page report offers:
- Professional liability claim data and analysis
- License protection claim data and analysis
- Legal case studies
- A self-assessment checklist
- Risk management recommendations