Disability Income Insurance provides monthly cash benefits to help replace your income
Most people don't have enough money saved up to live on for an extended period if they're unable to work. This plan is designed to help you get by if you're disabled and can't earn your regular paycheck.
Disability Income Insurance provides monthly cash benefits to help replace your income if you are unable to work for a prolonged period due to a covered illness or accidental injury.
Monthly disability benefits are sent directly to you to help cover deductibles and copayments, monthly bills, and other expenses that accrue while you recover.
You are eligible to apply for this Group Disability Income Insurance if you are an APTA member, a U.S. resident, under age 65 and actively working at least 20 hours per week.* The Disability Income Plan is excluded in NH, OH, VT. Currently not available in AK; DE FL; LA; ME; MD; MS; MO; MT; NC; ND; NM; NV; OR; SC; TX; UT; WA;WY. Please check back for updates or contact the plan administrator with interest so you can be notified when this coverage becomes available in your state.
Summary of Benefits
- Monthly benefits between $100 and $10,000**
- Select a 60-, 90-, or 180-day waiting period; the longer the waiting period, the lower your rate
- Own-occupation protection - benefits paid if you're unable to do your job, not just any job, for up to 60 months***
- Survivor benefit - provides extra help to your loved ones if you should die while receiving benefits
- Competitive group rates exclusively for APTA members
- Portable coverage - insurance stays with you, even if you change jobs
- 30-day free look - make sure you're completely satisfied before paying your first premium
*All applications are subject to medical underwriting and approval. If a medical exam is required, it will be conducted at your convenience and at no cost to you.
**The amount of coverage that can be issued depends upon your earned income and other disability insurance you have in force, if any. Total disability income cannot exceed 66 2/3% of your pre-disability earnings. A spouse's monthly benefit may not exceed the member's monthly benefit amount and benefit period.
***Length of benefits depends on age at time of disability.
1Includes features, costs, renewability, exclusions and limitations.
†Online application not available in SD. Residents of SD: please apply using the paper application.
Apply by Mail
For more information on this plan and other insurance plans designed exclusively for APTA members, call 1-800-982-9491.
This plan is underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company, NY NY 10010 (policy form GMR).