Professional Liability Insurance for Counselors
As a counselor, you may need coverage that goes beyond employer-provided coverage, not only from the risk of a judgment against you, but also the cost of defending a frivolous lawsuit. Malpractice lawsuits against counselors can cost an average of $46,921 (Understanding Counselor Liability Risk Claims report, 2014) and can take years to defend. That’s a lot of time and money. You can help safeguard your financial well-being with malpractice insurance through HPSO.
As a counselor, coverage through HPSO provides you with the following benefits:
Professional Liability Coverage
- Covers you, up to $1 million each claim, for amounts that you become legally obligated to pay as a result of a professional liability claim arising out of a covered medical incident.
- Covers you, up to $3 million annual aggregate, for all covered claims within the policy period.
- License Protection – up to $25,000 per proceeding, up to $25,000 annual aggregate
- If your client, a spouse, family member, etc. complains about you to a state licensing board, you could face the challenge of defending your practice and license—and thousands of dollars in legal fees. A policy through HPSO will reimburse you up to the applicable limit for your defense of disciplinary charges and other covered expenses arising out of a covered incident.
- Defendant Expense Benefit – up to $1,000 per day, up to $25,000 annual aggregate
- Your policy through HPSO will reimburse you up to the applicable limit for lost wages and covered expenses incurred when you are required to attend a required trial, hearing, or proceeding as a defendant in a covered claim.
Deposition Representation – up to $10,000 per deposition, up to $10,000 annual aggregate
- A patient or client is injured at the facility where you work. You are not named in the lawsuit, but you receive a subpoena for testimony during the policy period. Your coverage through HPSO will pay for attorney’s fees of an attorney designated by the insurer as a result of your required appearance at a deposition that arises out of professional services
Personal Liability Coverage – up to $1 million annual aggregate
- Covers you for legal liability for covered claims resulting from incidents at your residence, unrelated to your work.
- Defense Attorney Provided
With your own individual coverage, you’ll have your own defense attorney designated by the insurer to represent you in court, when necessary. Legal fees will be paid for covered claims, in addition to your liability limits - WIN OR LOSE.
- Assault Coverage – up to $25,000 per incident, up to $25,000 annual aggregate
- Violence in the workplace is a tragic reality. If you become the victim of a violent action at work or on your way to or from work, this coverage will reimburse you for your medical expenses or damage to your property up to the applicable limit. (Not available in Texas).
- Personal Injury Coverage
- Covers you, up to the applicable limits of liability, for covered claims arising from allegations of slander, libel, assault and battery, and other alleged personal injuries arising through the performance of your professional services.
- Medical Payments – up to $25,000 per person, up to $100,000 annual aggregate
- Pays for reimbursement of medical expenses to others injured at your residence or business premises up to the applicable limit.
- Damage to Property of Others – up to $10,000 annual aggregate
- Your policy pays up to the applicable limit for unintentional damage you cause to someone else's property while at your personal residence or your workplace.
First Aid Expenses – up to $10,000 per incident, up to $10,000 annual aggregate
- This benefit provides reimbursement for expenses you incur while rendering first aid to another person. For example, these expenses may include supplies from your personal first aid kit that you used to help a victim of an automobile accident.
- Sexual Misconduct/Abuse – up to $25,000 annual aggregate- sub-limit of Professional Liability limit
- The policy pays to defend you against allegations of sexual miscounduct, up to the applicable limit of liability, for amounts you are legally obligated to pay as a result of covered claims involving acts of sexual misconduct related to professional services.
- Information Privacy Coverage (HIPAA) – up to $25,000 per incident, up to $25,000 annual aggregate
- People today are very conscious of their privacy. Most are aware of the protection they receive under the HIPAA laws. This coverage reimburses you for costs to notify patients of a breach of confidential personal information in compliance with privacy protection laws. It also covers HIPAA fines and penalties that you become legally obligated to pay as a result of a covered proceeding.
In addition, a professional liability insurance policy through HPSO is portable, so you can take it with you wherever you go. Whether you have a second job, volunteer, move, or change jobs, your policy will help insure you.
ACA New Grads and Professionals Receive Money-Saving Discounts
When applying for Counselor Professional Liability Insurance through HPSO
This case study demonstrates how a counselor can be sued even when they’ve acted within the standard of care. The claim was covered by the HPSO Professional Liability Insurance Program, which paid an attorney to defend the counselor, who succeeded in having the case dismissed.
ACA membership provides students with complimentary professional liability insurance through HPSO. When you graduate, HPSO helps keep your insurance costs down by offering three important discounts on your individual professional liability insurance coverage:
- New Graduate Discount that provides 60% savings on the annual premium the first year, 40% the second year and 20% the third year*
- 10% ACA membership discount for individually insured counselors
- 10% risk management discount that lasts for three years when taking a qualified course
*New Graduate Discount applies in qualifying states to individual policies. Cannot be combined with other discounts in the first year.
Do you have all the coverage that you need for your non-medical activities? Click here to learn more.
Questions? Check out our FAQs for counselors.
Get a Professional Liability Insurance Quote