An economical option if you've been thinking you might need more protection
As a physical therapy professional, you know first-hand the impact an injury or sickness can have on a person's ability to earn a paycheck and maintain his or her standard of living.
This Group Short-Term Disability Insurance is an economical option if you've been thinking you might need more protection in case you should find yourself unable to work due to a non-job-related injury or illness. With short-term disability, you can begin accruing benefits as early as the first day of a covered injury and as of the eighth day following onset of a covered sickness, and a portion of your pre-disability monthly earnings will be paid directly to you for up to six months to help cover expenses your paycheck usually covers.
You are eligible to apply for this Group Short-Term Disability Insurance if you are an APTA member, under age 65, actively working at least 20 hours per week and a U.S. resident. Your spouse or domestic partner may also be eligible for coverage under this plan.* The Short Term Disability plan is currently not available in LA; MO; MT; NH; NV; OH; TX; VT, WA;WY. Please check back for updates or contact the plan administrator with interest so you can be notified when this coverage becomes available in your state.
Summary of Benefits
- Choose between $1,200 and $4,000 in monthly benefits**
- Benefits begin to accrue as early as the first day following an accident and from the eighth day following onset of an illness
- Monthly benefits paid for up to six months
- Voluntary rehabilitation program designed to help insureds return to work
- Competitive group rates exclusively for APTA members and their spouses or domestic partners
- Benefits are generally tax-free if premiums are paid with after tax dollars (consult your tax advisor for details)
- Portable coverage - insurance stays with you, even if you change jobs
- 30-day free look - make sure you're completely satisfied before paying your first premium
* All applications are subject to medical underwriting and approval. If a medical exam is required, it will be conducted at your convenience and at no cost to you.
** Monthly benefits from this plan, when added to income from any other sources, including other disability insurance, cannot exceed 66 2/3 % of your pre-disability monthly income; a spouse's monthly benefit amount may not exceed the member's monthly benefit amount.
1Includes features, costs, renewability, exclusions and limitations.
†Online application not available in VA Residents of VA: please apply using the paper application.
Apply by Mail
If you have questions on this plan or other insurance plans designed exclusively for APTA members, call 1-800-982-9491.
This plan is underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company, NY NY 10010 (policy form GMR).