Claims Reports for Healthcare Professionals
HPSO does more than offer professional liability insurance coverage to healthcare providers in over 80 professions. We also provide a large collection of risk education resources for healthcare professionals. By analyzing actual claim reports, HPSO provides healthcare professionals with the knowledge needed to help reduce their liability risks while improving patient or client outcomes. In collaboration with CNA, HPSO and its sister organization NSO, have developed claim reports for pharmacists, physical therapists, nurses, and nurse practitioners.
Physical Therapy Liability Claim Report: 4th Edition
Key findings from the 5-year study include:
- $46 million: Amount paid in malpractice claims against PTs insured through the HPSO Program over the 5-year study period
- $134,761: Average total cost of a malpractice lawsuit against a PT, including legal defense costs
- Improper management over patient’s treatment: Most common malpractice allegation against PTs
- Fractures: Injury most commonly associated with malpractice claims against PTs
- $6,420: Average legal cost to defend a PT from a state licensing board complaint
Click here to download the report and for additional risk education resources
Pharmacist Liability Claim Report: 2nd Edition
Identifying and Addressing Professional Liability Exposures
Key findings include:
- $25 million paid for pharmacist malpractice claims over the 5-year study period; up from $18 million paid during the 10-year study
- $124,407 average malpractice claim cost, up from $101,269 in the 2013 report, a 22.8% increase
- $5,349 average license defense cost, up from $3,685 in the 2013 report, a 45.2% increase
- Wrong drug and wrong dose continue to be the most common allegation, accounting for 52.1% of all pharmacist malpractice claims, a decrease from 75.3% in the 2013 report
- Gastrointestinal distress, infection/abscess, and death are the most frequent patient injuries of all closed claims analyzed in the report
Counselor Liability Claim Report: 2nd Edition
Minimizing Risk, Achieving Excellence
- $7.8 million paid for counselor malpractice claims over the 5-year study period; $8 million paid during the previous 10 years.
- The average total incurred for malpractice claims is $113,642
- Allegations involving sexual/romantic relationships accounted for 43.9% of malpractice allegations.
- $5,454 average license defense cost; up from $3,727 in the 2014 report, a 46.3% increase.
- Deposition assistance and record request matters increased 456% since the 2014 report.
Risk Management Strategies for Athletic Trainers:
Understanding and Addressing Professional Liability Exposure
In this report HPSO and CNA examines current and emerging malpractice exposures confronting athletic trainers. Highlights include:
- Three detailed claim scenarios that provide the plaintiff allegations, defense expert testimony, resulting court settlement and CNA’s risk control recommendations
- A look at emerging exposures, such as social media, new technology, student oversight and fee-for-service payment regulations
- A 4-page Risk Control Self-assessment Checklist designed to help athletic
trainers manage their malpractice exposures
Key Findings include:
- The majority of malpractice allegations against athletic trainers involve: failure to complete a proper assessment, failure to provide a safe environment, and improper use of a physical agent
- The most common claim-related injuries suffered by athletes and patients include: fractures, burns and traumatic brain injuries, such as concussion and subarachnoid hemorrhage
Occupational Therapy Claim Report: A Guide to Identifying and Addressing Professional Liability Exposures
HPSO and CNA’s first claim report for OTs, COTAs, OTAs and OT practices provides access to data for professional liability claims that occurred between January 1, 2006 and December 31, 2015.
The 30-page report offers:
- Professional liability claim data and analysis
- Legal case studies
- A self-assessment checklist
- Risk management recommendations
Key Findings include:
- $60,299: Average cost of a malpractice lawsuit against an OT, including legal defense costs
- Fractures: Most common injury that results in a malpractice claim against OTs
- $2.7 million: Amount paid in professional liability claims against OTs over the 10-year study